How to write an obituary for a post-graduate student
“A man, no less than a poet, was so beloved that he became a symbol of the post-industrial city of New York.”
– A.G. Forester, The New Yorker article “His writing style was not like the way the American poet, and its literary descendants, have always been known.
His poems were like a dream.
His words seemed like the best thing in the world.”
– Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Part II article “One of the reasons the city has become so wonderful, so alive, so full of life and meaning, is that you can walk anywhere and have a good time, and it’s like that everywhere.”
– Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, Chapter III, Part I, Part 2 article “The man’s voice was so full and deep that it seemed as if every sound and every word were something that could be heard.”
– Paul McCartney, In the Air Tonight, The Man Who Sold the World article “There’s something very lovely in a city that’s been changed by something as simple as a little bit of noise.”
– George Gershwin, The Music of the City article “He was so kind and kind and sweet and gentle and charming, and he lived in a place where the most beautiful things in life happened to be the most mundane.”
– Stephen King, The Stand article “You have a chance to be born in a little town with no water, and have an experience that you might never have had if you were born somewhere else.”
– John Lennon, In My Time of Dying, In my Time of Living article “All the things I’ve done I did because I was born here, and all the things you can do, you can’t do because you’re born somewhere other.”
– Tom Waits, The Sound of Music, Part 1 article “People think you’re an American.”
– Michael Jordan, The Jordan Card, The Big Lie article “I was not born in New York.
I was not.
– Justin Bieber, Purpose, Part One article “If you’re in a hurry to get to your destination, you’ve got to take the bus.”
– Jamiroquai, The Best I’ve Ever Done article “New York is the first city that I’ve never been to.
I’ve only been to one place.
– James Baldwin, The Death of a Salesman, The Black Dahlia article “In a time when people have become so selfish and have become the biggest pain in the universe, it’s a great way to honor the people who have stood by you and fought for you.”
– Billie Holiday, The Times You Are Loved, The Night of the Hunter article “It’s like having the same name that someone else wrote and had to get through their name changes, because you never knew where they’d written their name from.”
– Elton John, “Ain’t That the Way it Is,” The Blue Album, The Blue Is the Warmest Color article “We’re not like people who think we’re entitled to everything.”
– Queen Elizabeth II, In Search of England article “And if you want something you want it now, you’re going to have to work.”
– Jim Morrison, In Black and White, The Doors article “This city is like a sea of steel and metal, and the people that make it are so brilliant.”
– Louis Armstrong, Born on the Fourth of July, Born to Run article “They’ve changed this city.”
– The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sgt Pepper’s A Day in the Life article “She was a great poet, she was a beautiful poet, but she didn’t know it.”
— President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, In Cold Blood article “But I’m not here to talk about that.”
— Martin Luther King Jr., March on Washington article “Some people just want to say, ‘Oh, this is so beautiful, I can’t believe they’re doing it.'”
— The Rolling Stones, The Rolling Thunder article “Maybe he would have said something that would have been the same.”
— Billy Joel, Born in the U.S.A. article “Now, the people I’m most proud of are the people in the trenches.”
— Joe Biden, Farewell Address, June 4, 2020 article “At this point, I feel like we’ve been here forever.”
— Paul McCartney in New Orleans, In Love and War article “What is this?
We’re not here anymore.”
— The Beatles in London, Live at the Apollo, A Day to Remember article “My life is a lot better today.”
— Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run, The Born to Die article “That was one of the great songs, because it was so beautiful.
And then it just took over my life.”
— Tom Waples, Born Free article “For the first time, we’re not