Which of the Israelis is most likely to be killed by the Palestinians in the next few weeks?
By Tom Williams and David BrunskillA few days ago, the Israeli army posted this image of a young boy, clutching his dead father’s skull, in a public memorial in Tel Aviv.
In recent days, Israeli media has been reporting that an Israeli boy has died of his wounds in the occupied West Bank after being hit by a rubber-coated steel bullet during an anti-occupation protest.
Israel has been under severe public pressure to reveal who is responsible for the boy’s death, but on Friday it released few details, including a photograph of the body.
A few hours later, the Israel Defense Forces released another photograph, this time of a wounded Palestinian man in the street with his face showing what appears to be a bullet hole in his forehead.
The army also released another image of the dead man’s skull.
The images came as the Israeli military said it had shot dead an 18-year-old Palestinian who was shot in the back after he threw stones at Israeli soldiers.
This is the first time in a decade that an IDF officer has been killed in the line of duty.
The boy’s father, Ibrahim Qasem, told The Associated Press he was shot by an Israeli soldier who fired from a patrol car.
The IDF says the boy was throwing rocks at Israeli troops, and he was taken to a hospital for treatment.
An Israeli military spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Qasem was killed on Thursday evening.
Israel’s chief spokesman, Micky Rosenfeld, said the teenager was “not the target of the incident,” and said he was hit in the shoulder.
The soldier who shot the Palestinian, who was identified as Yosef Abu al-Sawadi, has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.
The Associated Post reported that Israeli security forces have been called in to the Palestinian village of Bilin near the West Bank city of Ramallah in the latest escalation of the violence between the Palestinians and Israeli forces.
On Friday, the Associated Press identified a Palestinian who has been detained by Israeli forces and charged with manslaughter in connection with the boy.
He is Muhammad Yousif Salhi, an 18 year-old resident of Hebron who was arrested last week, according to the Jerusalem Post.
Salhi, a graduate of a yeshiva in Jerusalem, was detained after he allegedly threw rocks at an Israeli patrol car, according the Israeli news site Ynet.
Israeli police spokesman Micky Cohen said Salhi had been released after his interrogation.
He told The AP that Salhi was charged with “murder” and “intentional homicide” and was being held on suspicion of “participating in an attack and causing injury to an Israeli civilian.”
The Palestinian Authority has called for Salhi’s release.
It called for a public inquiry into the death of the boy and called on the Israeli government to hold Israel accountable for its actions.
The Israeli government has also launched a probe into the case.
In a statement, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called on Israel to release Salhi immediately.
Abbas said the boy had been shot because he threw rocks.
“If this is the result of the security forces’ operation, then this will not be the end of the tragedy,” he said.
“It is the responsibility of the state to make sure that the perpetrators of this crime are held accountable,” Abbas added.